[lit-ideas] An Edwardian In Orbit

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:03:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2009 1:13:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Knots by an old salt dog.
How
I figure  the crab trap will work,
is this: your float ties on with a round turn
and  three half hitches--the extra is just for show.
I'm no go when it comes to  the Flemish Blend,
the Sailor's Whipping, the Sheepshank, the Ashley Stopper,  the Sinnet
Chain,
the Taut or Bunt Line Hitch; I forget all of  these,
but I've still got the bowline, with the crocodile coming out the  water,
round the tree, and back down around.
Would you like  one
now?
David Ritchie,
-----

Good Sunday poem by D.  Ritchie.

When and if D. Ritchie has the time, I'd like to discuss and debate further
 on this list his sabbatical...! :) I think he was interested in the topic
of  "Victoriana" as 'trans-national'?

As a Scots, Brits, and American, he surely can write about that!

As an Argie, can I?!

I was recently reading something about Italian opera, and I find some
otiose references to 'the edwardian period', the 'victorian period' etc. as
having validity for Europe, or Italy, or Buenos Aires... I wonder!

-----

The "Victorian" ethos I can identify with: Leon Cavallo, as she spelt it,
was Victoria's favourite of the 'verismo' composers. She met him at Nice (or
 Monaco) but he failed to attend a private function she had at Windsor when
she  had "I Pagliacci" played for her.

---  "Edwardian", 'opera edoardiana'? -- is more like Puccini, but  it's
more difficult to see how "Edwardian" could travel.

--- When an Englishman met me he called me an "Edwardian in orbit". He knew
 of a book (by an actor) called "A Victorian In Orbit" but he wanted to
play  games.

------ Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
    Buenos Aires, Argentina