[lit-ideas] Re: American presidential election oddities

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:05:06 -0700

The current Harpers' Index which, in spite of the customary "Architectural
Digest" standard of neatness in my home, I seem to have misplaced, has a
statistic on the chances--over the past hundred year or so--that Republican
or Democratic candidates were able to win the popular vote, but lose the
election.  The Republicans seem to have a good edge when it comes to this
knack.

I have been reading the NY Times' Science Section.

Did you know that the people who advised the President that prompt cuts in
carbon dioxide emissions from power plants would weaken the economy were:
Andrew Lundquist, energy lobbyist, Kyle E. McSlarrow, chair of Dan Quayle's
presidential campaign, Robert C. McNally Jr., lobbyist turned investment
banker, Karen Knutson, Republican senate aide, and Marcus Peacock, office of
Management and Budget?  Not a scientist among them.

The article, "How Science Became a Partisan Issue," ran on Tuesday, October
19.

Neither "McSlarrow" nor "McNally" appears in George F. Black, "The Surnames
of Scotland."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon