[lit-ideas] Re: Ambulance Chaser, my Philappa Foot

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:08:34 -0700

On Jun 5, 2006, at 7:46 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

David wrote:

It's a very odd question:

"Will you be able to perform the essential job functions for the
position you are applying for with or without reasonable
accommodations?"

It isn't the most deftly worded question, but it's pretty clear to me. The reading light example is about as transparent as I can make it. I suspect that David and Julie are just ambulance chasing. As it were.

You already know that it doesn't take much bureaucratic bumf to set me off, but it's isn't at all clear to me why you're being kind to this bilge. My problem with the question is not that they've cut and pasted notions from the ADA--I understand what they're hoping to achieve. The reason to make fun of the question is that it's an example of the fatuous slop you find everywhere these days. Pump the stuff out I say. Send it--of course in an ecologically appropriate manner-- over the side in buckets.

I can only invite you to look into your hearts and to ask yourselves, good people, if you do not laugh at this, then what will you accept next? Will you then in good conscience be in a position otherwise be able to write for this list, for which you are trying to write for, with or without reasonable accommodations?

As for Julie's lack of letters after her name...surely Count Mike Grossvati von der HoldenPaxtonundNaimh, CNN, ESP(n), 750Cl, can have a quiet word with the King?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon