[lit-ideas] Alan Sillitoe

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:43:42 +0200

Alan Sillitoe died last Saturday night.

The Washington Post graciously published a photograph which is the image by which i would like to remember him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/26/AR2010042604066.html

Although he disliked the epithet *Angry Young Man', I'm sure he would not like to be remembered as a 'Tired Old Man' (as depicted in more recent photographs which accompany other obituaries and internet entries) either. The camera always lies.

As does fiction - good fiction, deliberately. I have learned more about writing from Alan Sillitoe's _Raw Materials_ than from all the other writings about writing which i have read put together. It is interesting and instructive to learn how more honest such fictional 'lying' is than attempts to simply record or report (to say nothing of argue for) what one imagines to be the truth. Alan Sillitoe taught me that most clearly - and for that lesson I will be ever grateful.

Chris Bruce,
Kiel Germany