[lit-ideas] Adam's Lack of Umbilical Cord -- and Eve's for that matter

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:24:18 EDT

Geary:

"In the beginning was the Word", which suggests  to me that God is female."

Well, yes; that's another problem of the  Judaeo-Christian tradition that is
absent in the Loeb.

Cfr.

"Man shall leave his father and his mother" (Gen.  1, 2, 24).

This, in the context where no MOTHER was not even  slightly mentioned.

So we have TWO Gaps here. One, as Geary suggests,  is to ascribe FEMININE
gender (or sex) to God.

Another, which I subscribe, is to interpret the  dogma alla Grecca:

In Greek Religion, God (Zeus) _was_ married (to  "Hera").

So

"In the Beginning was the God"

suggests to Geary, "that God is female."

In a Greek context, this is not necessarily  so, for God (Zeus) could be
referring to the Word of Hera, his  wife.

For the Greeks, however, it's all slimy and  dirty when it comes to the
creation of Man and Woman -- and they are not in a  better position to deal
with
this matter than the Greeks. It was Prometheus,  etc. There are nice pictorial
representations, and I, unlike Geary, I'm very  representationalist, and
believe in a MINOTAUR if I see a precise representation  of it, as J. G.
Watt's, at
the Tate.

Cheers,

JL