[lit-ideas] Achilles and the Tortoise

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:55:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2009 3:43:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Preparations for the time
after that  include waterproof trousers, a pub close enough to crawl back
from and a  very good excuse.

----

I would think 'prepare' is also what I call an Achilean verb:

          Achilles prepare to  defeat the Tortoise in the foot-race.

         But first he had to  prepare to defeat him, indeed.

         And then he had to  prepare to prepare to defeat him.

         And prepare to prepare to  prepare to defeat him.

         And ...

         Meanwhile, the Tortoise,  unpreparedly, just _won_.

Cheers,

JL Speranza

---

Steps!