[lit-ideas] Re: APRIL POEMS (3rd)

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:41:07 +0100

I enjoyed this and have been thinking about unexpected Spring poems - as in
Spring poems from people you don't expect them from.  Here is one, from Yvor
Winters of all people - he who is all clanging iron and steely cold things
and gritted teeth and (how, in a poet?) insistence on reason and
rationality. This one appears in children's Anthologies of Literature and is
indeed by Yvor Winters himself. Perhaps he was sleepwalking, or something:

APRIL

The little goat
crops
new grass lying down