[lit-ideas] Re: APRIL POEMS

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:15:21 +0100

Mike wrote:

> [W.S. Merwin] writes of the shadows of what's missing.

Yes. What's not there is just as important. And busy active shadows they
are -- loneliness that leaps and injustice that lights up buildings, etc,
etc. Absence as a presence, maybe. Kind of alarming, it feels to me, to see
such sharp awareness of and focus on what is missing -- or not? E.g. In
"When you go away" Merwin writes:

".. my words are the garment of what I shall never be
Like the tucked sleeve of a one-armed boy."

and how about this one:

Beggars And Kings                               by W.S. Merwin

--------------------

In the evening
all the hours that weren't used
are emptied out
and the beggars are waiting to gather them up
to open them
to find the sun in each one
and teach it its beggar's name
and sing to it It is well
through the night

but each of us
has his own kingdom of pains
and has not yet found them all
and is sailing in search of them day and night
infallible undisputed unresting
filled with a dumb use
and its time
like a finger in a world without hands

<><><><>

Maybe it's just a glass half-full/half-empty thing, although I'm not sure
it's that simple....

Very many thanks to Mike anyway! All best, MN