[lit-ideas] Re: A serious inquiry: Hannah

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:03:41 +0900

On 8/11/06, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am not sure what kind of help you are seeking, but
for what it's worth I think that political judgements
entail moral judgements. More specifically, they seem
to include judgements on which ends are desirable (i.e
moral) and practical judgements on whether these ends
are attainable and how they are to be attained. It's
mistifying to me then how moral judgements can contain
components that are absent from political judgements.

One empirical possibility is that the scope of morality is restricted to the range of what Meyer Fortes (a British social anthropologist) labeled "the axiom of amity," i.e., that set of social relations that fall within the boundary that divides kin from non-kin. Where kinship is perceived, morality applies. Non-kin have no right to assert moral claims.

This pattern is a familiar one in tribal and traditional societies
where kinship and humanity are equivalent, so that non-kin equals
non-human and exploiting, torturing or killing non-humans is, thus,
not a moral issue.

From this perspective, liberal moral squeamishness reflects our
embrace of the Kantian proposition that moral judgments should be
universally applicable, at least in regard to members of the human
species.

Tangentially, this may, at least in part, explain the attachment of
conservative thinkers to scriptural literalism and Linnaean
classificaitons.  Darwinian evolution is, among other things, a ground
for regarding every member of the species homo sapien as kin; thus
falling within the boundary to which moral judgments apply.

Regardless, however, of philosophical wisdom, the persistence of our
basic "tribal" mindset is evident from the labeling and images that
appear whenever armed conflict between human groups
occurs:"Barbarians," "Huns," "Japs," "Gooks," now "Hadjis" are only a
few familiar examples.

John

=====

John McCreery The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN

US CITIZEN ABROAD?
YOU'RE THE DECIDER!
Register to Vote in '06 Elections
www.VoteFromAbroad.org