[lit-ideas] A coyote in photo # 82

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: " rr-folk" <rr-folk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:56:45 -0700

www.lawrencehelm.smugmug.com   This morning's hike began with photo 74 in
the August 2013 gallery.  In photo 82 is a coyote that may have been
following us for a while.  Coyotes manage to hang out in brush with heavy
foxtails.  With their ears sticking up like that you'd think they would be
susceptible to foxtails but I've never seen one shaking its head.  I've
never had a Ridgeback get foxtails in its ears, but Duffy did when he was
younger.

I've been taking dogs down to the river since 1999 and the only time a
coyote has ever bothered us was the time Ginger went off to make friends
with one.  She was bitten on her rump when I managed to get her attention
and she started back toward me.  That was a warning bite.  The coyote had
pups on the ground and didn't want Ginger messing in her territory.  Ginger
got the message.  On the plus side, this was evidence that a coyote wasn't
big enough to take on a Ridgeback in any serious way.

Sage has Renal failure and probably doesn't have too many more months to
live.  Will the coyotes still leave us alone if I'm down to just Duffy?
Maybe, but I'll probably be looking for a bodyguard anyway.

Lawrence