[lit-ideas] Re: A Roundhead Attitude To Death

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:17:29 EDT

Exactly, so funny McEvoy!

I expect Sue Trevor was impressed by my knowledge (inspired by her
patronising, but well meant, "Mr Speranza", matronising --) of genitalia female

mutilation.

A jolly good wash is indeed the prerequisite for a cavalier attitude to
life, so what's with that? Surely I rather keep the feathers. What irritates
Geary is the early period (of a boy's life) in which the operation is
operated  on the boy:

    "I realised I was circumcised long after there was  anything I could do
about it -- rather than blame my father".

----

I held a long discussion with a classicist on this, McMahon. We were
discussing Aristophanes, as discussed by Dover. In 456b Aristophanes writes,
"You cut one! Get out of here". The vase representations show that the Greeks
despised a cut one. "Why, they never felt sexual attraction for them". It
was  correlated with Eastern religions --. They also despised a long prick, as
a sign  of mental turpitude.

When Lacan observed Greek statuary (he lacked a classic roundup education)
he said, "fitosis", or the name of the disease when the penis is engulfed
by the  balls. He failed to realise the canons of Western beauty.

The other day I was watching Helena Bonham Carter in film, The heart of me.
 Based on The Echoing Grove. And she uses,

"balls-up".  A mess. I wonder if that's a sexist remark.

J. L. Speranza
   Bordighera -- where we make hay while the sun shines
                             we make love while it rains

JLS

In a message dated 10/6/2009 2:55:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Circumcision's medically unnecessary.
Look at this happy chap and  his fragrant, uninfected  beau:-
http://www.cavaliersball.com/2008CVBall_02.jpg

Health advice:  If there's feathers in it, it just needs a jolly good wash.

Mental  health advice: after washing, ask "How did they get there?"
Some   know.
(to jog memory [if broadminded]:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/26137258_1e3e499ca1.jpg).

Donal
Sorry.  Came over funny. Changed thread title.