[lit-ideas] Re: A Poem On Poeming

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:17:08 -0800

On Jan 23, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

DR:
>off to clean the roof

Eh? Clean it of what? Bird shit? I've never in my life heard of cleaning a roof. Cleaning gutters, yes. I do that for a few gentle women friends without ladders, but roofs? God / Mother Nature cleans roofs, and thank you, Baby Jesus. But tell me more. Maybe there's a new career for me: Atlas Shingle Cleaners, Inc. "Let us put the shine in your shingles." I love it. I'm moving back to the Left Coast tomorrow.

You'll remember from your time here Douglas Firs. While these trees have some good qualities, bigness for example, they have needles which clump and stick to a roof, resisting all efforts by wind and rain to remove them. If this weren't fun enough, Douglas Firs also chuck whole branches at your roof. Thus after winter storms one of the rites of passage is walking very carefully on a roof, when it is warmed by sun and when you judge that the build-up of near-invisible slime is not too bad.

Brush, brush, brush.

Most people hereabouts hire cheap labor to do this, usually using a power blower. I don't.

I'd be happy to hire you, though. There are parts of our roof I refuse to touch--too high up.

Did I mention that we have a metal roof, which is great for resisting debris, but which tends towards the slip?

David Ritchie,
7-6, 6-2 and ready to eat chunks of dead animal in
Portland, Oregon