[lit-ideas] A Dinar With Bush

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:33:37 EDT

W. Ball writes:

>>US President George W. Bush spoke of "the
>>Soviet  dinar," even
>>though dinars are the Iraqi  currency.

Eric Yost comments:

>Maybe he meant "Soviet dinner"?

-- Interestingly, 'dinar' (Gk. denarion) is a corruption of Latin
_denarius_. More from the OED below. Under (b), the OED notes that the dinar is
 the
currency of Yugoslavia (formerly Serbia).

Cheers,

JL

----

dinar. Arab. and Pers. dinar, ad late Greek denarion, ad Latin  denarius: see
denarius. A name given to various oriental  coins: applied anciently to a
gold coin, corresponding to the Byzantine  denarius auri, or crown of gold, and
to the gold mohr of later times;  afterwards to the staple silver coin
corresponding to the modern rupee; in  modern Persia a very small imaginary
coin, of
which 10,000 make a tomaun  (c1897 = about 7s. 6d., but in 1677 = £3. 6s.
8d.,
Yule). Now a standard monetary unit of Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait,  Tunisia, etc.
(see quots.).

1634 Sir  T. Herbert  Trav. 41

The usuall  Coine..within the Moguls Territories are Pice, Mammoodees,
Rowpees, and Dynaes.

1638 Ibid. (ed. 2) 38 The Dina is  gold worth thirty shillings.

1698 Fryer  Acc. E. India & P. 407 And 100  Deniers one Mamoody. And 20 Pise
one Shahee: Both which are Nominal, not Real.

1753 Hanway Trav. (1762) I.  V. lxiv. 292 The toman, bistie, and  denaer are
imaginary. Ibid. 293 We always  computed the mildenaer or 1000 denaers, equal
to an english crown of 5s. Ibid. 294 The  silversmiths commonly make use of
pieces of money instead of weights, especially  sisid denaers of T muscal in
weight.

1811 P. Kelly Universal  Cambist I. 346 Persia. Accounts are kept in  Tomans
of 50 Abassis..or 10,000 Dinars simple.

1815  Elphinstone Acc. Caubul (1842) I. 391 In towns, the common pay of a
labourer is one hundred denaurs  (about fourpence half-penny) a-day, with food.
1841  Hist. Ind. II. 67, 2000 dinárs  were given to him â??to pay for his
washingâ??
.

1850 W. Irving Mahomet xxxiii. (1853) 172 An annual  tribute of three
thousand dinars or crowns of gold.

1883 C. J. Wills Mod. Persia 63 note, The  merchant-class, too, use the
dinar, an imaginary coin...one thousand dinars make  a keran, so one dinar is
the
of 9d.

1931 W. F. SPALDING Tate's Money Manual I. 54 The monetary unit [of Iraq]
will be the gold dinar of 1000 fils.

1951  Statesman's Year-Book 1211 On 1  July, 1950, Jordan began to issue its
own currency, the Jordan dinar, divided  into 1,000 fils.

1958  Economist 8 Nov. 534/2 A new  currency made its bow to the exchange
markets this week. It is the Tunisian  dinar, based on the French franc... The
dinar has been given an equivalent of  1,000 French francs.

1962  Statesman's Year-Book 1186 The  Kuwait Dinar (at par with the £
sterling) of 1,000 fils, replaced the Indian  external Rupee on 1 April 1961.

1970  Financial Times 23 Mar. 12/2 The  average per capita income [in
Algeria] of 910  dinars.

b. [a. Serbian dinar, f. L.  denarius. The monetary unit of Yugoslavia
(formerly of Serbia).

1882  Statesman's Yearbook 402 The  Servian dinar is equal to one franc. 1907
Macm.  Mag. Sept. 839 In Belgrade..they gauged my  ignorance of the number of
nickel paras and piastres that go to  the dinar, or franc. 1926 Survey  of
Budget 1927-8 (Yugoslavia) 3 The changes in  the economic conditions of this
country, which were the consequences of the  stabilisation of the dinar. 1927
Economic  Jugoslavia 34 The National Bank..has paid up  capital to the amount
of
30 million  dinars.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00064343?query_type=word&queryword=dinar&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_ty
pe=alpha&case_id=OFXO-jlf0kO-5581#top)