[lit-ideas] Re: 30 years ago today ? type=text size=40 style=

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today, 26 May, 2006, is the 30th anniversary of the
> death of Martin
> Heidegger (b. 26.9.1889 in Messkirch; died 26.5.1976
> in Freiburg).  I
> will once more repeat myself, and reiterate George
> Steiner's comments
> (made in the Times Literary Supplement, Jan. 29th,
> 1999) on Heidegger
> and his place in 'Western thought':
>
>       "It does look as if Martin Heidegger will tower
>       albeit controversally and as yet enigmatically ?>
over much of the spectrum in philosophy in this
>         closing century and in the centuries to
> come.

*In the last unfortunate century, maybe. Whether an
inscrutable academic prof with Nazi sympathies will
tower over the spectrum of philosophy in the centuries
to come remains to be seen, but it's sadly possible.

>         recent survey indicates that publications on
> Heidegger,
>         ranging from technical comments and
> monographic
>         investigations to biography, political
> debate and even
>       fiction, are equalling, if not exceeding, those on
>       Plato and Aristotle.

*Could be a comment on the value of H.'s philosophy,
or could be a comment on current academic
publications.

>       .... Key words  in his idiom ... are cited in a
> prodigality
>         of contexts. ?Heidegger's role in
> hermeneutics, pheno-
>         menology, theology and historicism spills,
> as it were,
>         across the boundaries of his own writings to
> cast its light
>         and shadow on the entire landscape of
> existentialism, of
>       deconstruction, of postmodernism (these movements
>       being, in their source and development, extended
> foot-
>       notes to _Sein und Zeit_). ....

*It's not clear that deconstruction and postmodernism
are still very influential movements, outside some
narrow circles.

>       The fascination, often tinged with revulsion, is
> ubiquit-
>       ous.

*Could it be tinged with a bit of perversion ? OK,
just asking... it's hardly ubiquitous though.

It has, in turn, altered the placement of
> previous
>       metaphysical and theological traditions: there is a
> vivid
>       sense in which the pre-Socratics now come after
> Martin
>       Heidegger, as does the Plato of the _Parmenides_
> and
>       the _Sophist_, Aristotle on being, or Thomas
> Aquinas
>       on essence. There is a Heideggerian Kant, a
> Schelling,
>       and, most emphatically, a Nietzsche and a Husserl

*Nope, I don't have that "vivid sense" at all.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com