[Linuxtrent] [feedback@ffii.org: Patents: Michel Rocard wants you in Brussels!] a tutti (in particolare aziende)

  • From: "Marco Ciampa" <ciampix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:18:06 +0200

Appello per le società sui brevetti software.

----- Forwarded message from FFII <feedback@xxxxxxxx> -----

From: FFII <feedback@xxxxxxxx>
To: president@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Patents: Michel Rocard wants you in Brussels!

Dear European corporate supporter of FFII,

If your company is approached for patent infringment or no longer able
to use state-of-the art open source solutions in the near future, you
may have only yourself to blame. The Parliament's rapporteur is doing
an excellent job in fighting for your rights, but, as an EP insider
reported yesterday:

  Pro patent guys are lobbying like hell everyday, dixit Rocard
  [the European Parliament's rapporteur for the directive on
  software patents] this morning.

  FFII and SMEs should wake up, groups are already drawing up their
  position, it will probably a lost cause to lobby in June.

  May will be a critical month in terms of refuting pro patent
  lobbyists arguments and convinving many MEPs.

The only industry's voice they are hearing is UNICE and EICTA
(mentioned at yesterday's legal affairs committee meeting), along
with some misled and some fake SMEs. Many political groups are already
drafting their positions, and it will probably be a lost cause to
lobby in June.

All ingredients to win are here, but you.

You can counter the pro software patent community by making appointments
with MEPs and going to visit them at the European Parliament. Without
your support, we cannot win this battle. We can provide analyses of
amendments, but these need to be backed up by your business interests.

I will come during the week (not necessarily the whole week) of

        [ ] I will be in Brussels during W17 (Apr 25-28)
        [ ] I will be in Brussels during W18 (May 2-4)
        [ ] I will be in Strasbourg during W19 (May 9-12)
        (During W20, May 16-20, MEPs are in your home district.)
        [ ] I will be in Brussels during W21 (May 23-26)
        [ ] I will be in Brussels during W22 (May 30-June 2)
        [ ] I will attend the Conference on June 1st
        http://wiki.ffii.org/Konf0506En
        [ ] I will sign Call for Action III
        http://swpat.ffii.org/papers/europarl0309/demands/

Please contact europarl@xxxxxxxx to plan the date of your stay.

If you are short on time, Tuesday morning until Wednesday evening is the
best period to meet MEPs. If desired, we can provide guidance on-site,
and we will also help you in preparing your visit in any way we can. You
also have the option of making use of our office and an apartment in
Brussels and the office can help you to arrange a convenient flight.

Also, please consider entering your company into

    http://www.economic-majority.com/

and making a pledge for a donation.

We are paying our experienced activists EUR 500 per week (approximately
what the patent lobby's PR agencies pay their staff per hour), and we
are trying to have some money for media advertisements as well. You can
find details of our plans at the economic-majority.com site.

Please enter your data there and try to get 3-5 more colleagues from
your peer companies on board as well.  We have no time to loose: the
site must be launched publicly by next Monday.

To regularly participate in our current activities, you can join the two
mailing lists

    Talking to the European Parliament
    http://lists.ffii.org/mailman/listinfo/europarl-parl/

    Talking to the Corporate World
    http://lists.ffii.org/mailman/listinfo/sektor-parl/

Thanks in advance for your support!

Best regards,

--
Jonas Maebe, Gérald Sédrati-Dinet, Hartmut Pilch, Holger Blasum, FFII

If you no longer feel concerned with this mail, please downgrade your
support level in the http://aktiv.ffii.org/ system through which you
registered with the user id "linuxtn", or contact buero@xxxxxxxx for help.

----- End forwarded message -----

--