[Linuxtrent] Re: direttiva brevetti: micro$oft minaccia il primo ministro danese

  • From: Luca Manganelli <luca76@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:23:53 +0100

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:39:53 +0100, Emanuele Olivetti <olivetti@xxxxxx> wrote:
> La votazione della direttiva sui brevetti software sembra che scivoli
> dal 17 al 24 febbraio. Nel frattempo micro$oft _minaccia_ il primo
> ministro danese che non vuole appoggiare la direttiva: "vota SI o
> licenzio 800 persone" :
> http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=363

Qui afferma il contrario:

Microsoft Denies Threatening Denmark

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Denies_Threatening_Denmark/1108511770

Microsoft is dismissing allegations that it attempted to strong arm
Denmark into opposing pending European Union legislation that
restricts software patents.

Borsen, a Danish financial newspaper, first reported that Microsoft
Chairman Bill Gates personally told Prime Minister Anders Fogh
Rasmussen that he would strongly consider moving 800 jobs out of
Navision, a Microsoft subsidiary. Prominent Danish politicians likened
the threat to "blackmail."

"Contrary to reports in the Danish media today, Microsoft stated that
there are no plans to close the Microsoft Development Center at
Vedbaek, Denmark," the company said in a press release.

The statement continued, "Microsoft remains committed to Vedbaek as a
development center, as evidenced by the appointment of Klaus Holse
Andersen as leader of the Microsoft Vedbaek campus and the opening of
the Microsoft Technology Center for EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
ISV Development in November 2004. The campus at Vedbaek continues to
thrive, and Microsoft expects to add additional developers in 2005."

If enacted, the EU directive would stipulate what software patents can
and cannot be granted, an issue that has tugged on heart strings of
open source software advocates. The directive is also intended to
simplify trade by standardizing national patent law.

Some patents issued in recent years have raised collective eyebrows
throughout the industry. Just last month, computer software maker
McAfee was granted a patent from the United States Patent and
Trademark Office for visually tracking network events on a computer
using a firewall.

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil"
  - Donald Knuth