[linuxplay_oblong] Wikipedia offline

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxplay_oblong <linuxplay_oblong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:45:08 +1200

Kia ora koutou

At previous Linux PLays we have talked about how handy it would be to have a keyword searchable Wikipedia on a laptop. These instructions were feature on Slashdot.org today and are apparently a lot faster than the MySQL-based method:
http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html

We have a few things we could look at next Saturday:
- figure out how to make Ubuntu fit the screen on C4
- put Ubuntu on more of Oblong's PCs (including the now-rebuilt A4)
- set up one of the 300 Mhz P2s as a Linux Server and try to get the A3 printer going
- figure out how to get macron support for typing Maori on Ubuntu

Ka kite akuanei
Strypes

RnB

--
"If civilization has an opposite, it is war."
- Ursula K. LeGuin (The Left Hand of Darkness)

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Access News: http://www.indymedia.org.nz/
Free Culture: http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)
archive: //www.freelists.org/archives/linuxplay_oblong/