[Linux-Discussion] Re: chgrp command

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:17:01 -0500

On Saturday 28 July 2001 14:29, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to change group for a few users.
>
> groupadd admingroup
> chgrp admingroup user1
> chgrp admingroup user2
>
> When I go the the /etc/passwd file and list user1 and user2 entries,
> they are not in the admingroup

chgrp is for changing group ownership of files, not users.  Add users to
groups by editing /etc/group and listing the users that you want in that
group (separated by commas) after the group you want them added to.  (Or,
if you want them *removed* from their old group too, just change the gid
field in /etc/passwd for that user.)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA