[Linux-Discussion] Re: [Freelists News] At last, some good news!

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:54:34 -0500

> Yes, there is a silver lining to every cloud.
>
> The recent outage put us in the market for a new server, and who do you
> go to when you're looking for a Linux box?  Why, VA Linux, of course.

> Unfortunately, VA has decided to step out of the hardware business to
> focus on selling their services.  However, thanks to closeout pricing,
> we  were able to afford one of their machines, and it's now on its way.
> It's a sweet box, too: Dual PIII/800, 1-gig of RAM, SCSI disks.

Well, here's another cloud: I received the following message from VA this
morning:

"The order you recently placed for
a Pre configured VA Linux 2230 System
will not be fulfilled due to the limited
inventory of the product.  It is unfortunate
that we were not able to remove the offering
from our web site simultaneously with the
exhaustion of inventory.

We apologize for the delay in notification
and for any inconvenience this limited
availability may cause."

So FreeLists won't be getting a VA machine after all. :(  I'll have to
talk it over with the others here, because I'd still like to buy us a new
system with some better redundancy and whatnot, but I can't afford it
personally, so not getting this deal with VA makes it too expensive.
We'll see what we can pull together though.

In the meantime, the current system should still do nicely.

John