[linux-cirrus] redboot / sound support

  • From: Valentin MISSIER <val.missier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:58:39 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this list for a few weeks now and I though I could give some
opinion.
I use a couple of edb9302.

I first used kernel-2.4.21-cirrus and the provided userland as ramdisk. I was
always losing 10% of ethernet packets.
I thinks a fix has been posted, but I didn't try it.

Then I fought for a while with redboot and kernel 2.6.11.7.
The only redboot that works for me (kernel 2.6.11.7 and edb9302) is
http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/scripts/redbootbuilder-for-cirrus-1-4-2.tar.gz,

with modifying the script so that is builds for edb9302.
The newer version
(http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/scripts/redbootbuilder-for-cirrus-1-4-3.tar.gz)

does not work.
Cirrus provided 2.6.8 kernels (pre-compiled) do not boot for me.

So I am fairly happy with kernel 2.6.11.7 and redboot. No more packet loss.
I use http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ for my userland and toolchain. And nfsroot.

I am now trying to use the analog (later I2S) sound output. I build the
2.6.11.7 kernel with sound support and devfs, so I have /dev/sound/dsp and
all.
Sound does not work for me (I am trying to build aumix to see if that's a
mixer problem...). A simple "cat sound.au > /dev/sound/dsp" does not work for
me.
However, mpg123 seems very slow (even though I can't hear any sound from the
output), as I use kernel soft floating point (the regular kind, as with the
fast kernel soft float engine I cannot login).

Anyone has a hint on making sound work?
Anyone succeeded in compiling and executing mpg123 (or similar) with crunch
patched gcc?

Thank you,
Best regards,

--