[linux-avc2210k] Multiload alpha now available (avc2210k to follow)

  • From: Dr J A Gow <J.A.Gow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-avc2210k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:54:46 +0100

Hello All,

Let me start off by apologizing for the delay in the release of this
code. This happened largely because I discovered that at the time I had
nowhere to easily publish it. This has now been sorted, and the latest
alpha (in fact fully functional) version of Multiload (the Cypress
FX/FX2 firmware loader required as part of the VideOh DVD driver) is now
available. You can get it by anonymous ftp:

ftp://81.86.3.90/multiload/multiload-alpha-290305.tgz

Please grab this and try it - it is a prerequisite to getting the
avc2210k stuff to work. If you have a problem with the link, let me know
by mail.

There are no docs in the archive, but if you untar it and do a 'make' as
an unpriveliged user followed by 'make install' as root, everything
should work. Check the install section of the makefile to ensure
everything is OK for your machine. To set up for the VideOh DVD, the
instructions below can be followed:

The make process will yield a multiload binary. The install process will
drop this in /sbin and make sure it is owned by root. It then symlinks
it into to your /etc/hotplug/usb directory. A multiload.usermap file is
created with the line:

multiload                 0x0003      0x03f3   0x008b    0x0000
0x0000       0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00
0x00               0x00               0x00000000
multiload                 0x0003      0x03f3   0x0087    0x0000
0x0000       0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00
0x00               0x00               0x00000000

and placed in the /etc/hotplug/usb directory.

A /usr/local/lib/firmware directory is created to act as a repository
for the firmware files.

To set up for the Videoh DVD, locate the avcuwfl.sys file on your
Windows driver CD. There may be more than one, you may need to try all
of them to find one that works. Drop it into the /usr/local/lib/firmware
directory.

Do a tail -f /var/log/messages, and plug in your VideOh. Messages should
indicate that the firmware has been loaded and it has re-enumerated as a
different VID/PID. This is the indicator that it is working. After this
you need the AVC2210K stuff, which I will put up shortly.

Any patches for Multiload, just mail me them or post to the list, and I
will merge them if suitable.

I'll put up two builds of the avc2210k stuff shortly, one for NTSC and
one for PAL. These are old builds, so don't bother sending me patches
against this code as it has changed _substantially_ from this codebase.
The new version has a completely configurable system allowing individual
registers in the video and audio capture devices to be changed at will,
and uses an XML configuration file to allow new commands to the
userspace component to be defined without recompiling. This is a couple
of weeks away and I will post it when ready.

Try Multiload, see how you get on. Any questions, mail me, or preferably
post to the list so all can benefit. I read the list regularly.

        John.