[Linux-Anyway] XOrg errors

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:04:20 -0800 (PST)

   Hey,

   Maybe Scott ran into this...?

   After installing my new slack (in which I'd stupidly installed
everything, though hoping for a minimal X), there was no X config
during install.  But I tried running startx as meph & got:

/home/meph/startx: line 111: xauth: command not found
/home/meph/startx: line 112: xauth: command not found
/home/meph/startx: line 111: xauth: command not found
/home/meph/startx: line 112: xauth: command not found
/home/meph/startx: line 150: xinit: command not found
/home/meph/startx: line 1: xauth: command not found

   I thought this odd, but then tried startx as root.  It worked.

   In the meantime, figuring that I just had to reconfig xorg, I
first tried xorgsetup.  Still got the same.  Tried xorgconfig,
got the same.

   This morning, I tried opening X in root again, but instead of X
opening, I got the error above.  I tried the two config commands
above, they went fine, but each still give me the error.  I even
tried xorgcfg to no avail.

   I don't see anything on the Web about this.  Any ideas?  The
only things I could find to change in the xorg.config file
(which, like the config executables, are suspiciously like XF86),
were the mouse lines:  I had to change one line from "auto" to
"IMPS/2", "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/psaux" & to add the "ZAxisMapping
4 5" line, as these made the mouse work properly the time I was
able to open X.

--
   "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.
   It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get