[Linux-Anyway] Re: Totally unrelated -- Zip drive

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:20:55 +0200

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:14:18 -0700 (PDT), Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Is the drive fucked?

That would be a reasonable conclusion.

If the same disc works in another drive but not in yours, then the chances
are that the drive has had it, not the disc.

Speaking of unreliable devices... I dug out my old 88MB SyQuest drive the
other day. None of the cartridges work now, of course, so I reckon /that/
drive has had it too. What's odd is that a low-level format of a cartridge
works, but when you stick the thing in the drive in an attempt to high-level
format it, the drive doesn't recognize it and carries on churning trying to
read something or other.

Too bad. Those things are past it now anyway. I mean, a 5.25" disc with 88MB
capacity.... You can put more than that on a CF card not much bigger than a
postage stamp nowadays.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.6)