[Linux-Anyway] On the subject of dual-booting two distros....

  • From: "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anyway" <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:27:33 -0800

  Just came across:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/dualboot.html

  But, naturally, I'm confused.  He says:

Install the first OS, making sure to create a /boot, swap and /
partition. Also create a separate /home partition if desired.
Create the secondary boot OS partitions. For a typical install a
partition size of about 1.2G should be adequate. Label them if
needed. E.g.

  SDA1  /boot (shared)
  SDA2 /swap (shared)
  SDA5 /
  SDA6 /Mandrake8.0

Do create a bootdisk if asked.

Boot into the newly installed OS and backup the /boot partition.
The /boot/vmlinuz should be a symlink to the
vmlinuz-kernel_version. If it is not, copy vmlinuz to
vmlinuz-kernel_version. Do the same for System.map.

Shutdown and begin the installation for the next OS. Use the same
boot partition and swap space. Choose the next available
partition for your / filesystem. E.g.:

  SDA1  /boot (shared)
  SDA2 /swap (shared)
  SDA5 /Mandrake7.2
  SDA6 /

  What I don't get are sda5 in the first install being /, but in
the second it actually says /Mandrake7.2.  He's marked sda6 in
the first install, /Mandrake8.0, but in the second, /.

  Uh....  So, when partitioning the first install, does one name
the root "/the-distro-being-installed" instead of just "/"?  I'm
not sure how the system one is working with would install
properly in any case.

  And what about making single /var/www & /usr directories?  Can
it be done?

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux