[Linux-Anyway] Re: New subject: Cheap but effective physical security

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:01:52 +0200

Meph Istopheles wrote:

>  OK,
>
>  My constant nagging to lock doors & windows here has prompted
>me to seek new solutions, as it is all to no avail..  This way,
>we can just fear for our very lives, but keep our precious
>objects.
>
>  What I'm looking for is an inexpensive, yet real, means of
>locking down 'puters, monitors, televisions, stereos, etc so that
>if someone should (as they always have everywhere else I've lived
>the past fifteen years) break in, they are able to either walk
>away with nothing, or at least be put to such inconvenience they
>have to think twice about attempting to rip me off.
>
>  Any suggestiion is worth entertaining....

You've talked about a solution today - move to Europe. Unless you set
your mind on living in Palermo, a Paris banlieue, Garvaghy road or
something like it, you and your tech are quite secure. I know burglaries
only from films.

But seriously:I know someone who binds an end of a snapped tow rope on
his car when driving to south Italy, notorious for car theft. He swears
that it's better than any alarm or immobiliser. If I were concerned
about burglars, I'd transfer the method to computers by stripping them
of plastic and leaving the mere chassis. About monitors I don't know - I
wouldn't like to have a thing that produces charges  in tens of
thousands volts standing about naked on my desk. Perhaps taking the back
cover off, putting it back together so it doesn't fit and using velcro
tape to hold it together would work?

Well, most of my hardware looks like that most of the time anyway so
don't wonder where I got the idea....

Cheers
Horror Vacui