[liblouis-liblouisxml] noletsign for the English word 'a', grade 1

  • From: "John Brugge" <johnbrugge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:48:12 +0000

Someone has pointed out to us that the Grade 1 translation of the English words
"a" and "I" in liblouis come out with a preceding letter sign, making it
confusing for younger readers. Using the Grade 2 table, they do not.

For example:
$ echo what a fine day | lou_translate -f en-us-g1.ctb
what ;a fine day

$ echo what I like | lou_translate -f en-us-g1.ctb
what ;,i like

The documentation for "noletsign characters"
(http://liblouis.org/documentation/liblouis.html#index-noletsign) seems to
imply that a word like "a" would have either a "noletsign a" or a "word a"
entry in a translation table, but I don't see it in either en-us-g1.ctb or
en-ueb-g1.ctb.

I have liblouis 2.6.4, but the tables for 2.6.5 don't appear to have anything
different for this.

Any clues on whether this is a feature or a bug appreciated.
Thanks,
John Brugge
Bookshare.org