[liblouis-liblouisxml] liblouisxml now in svn

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:23:01 +0100

Hi all

I just imported the 1.7.0 tar ball of liblouisxml into subversion on the
Google Code site. I also uploaded the current tar ball from John (1.7.0)
to the Google Code site.

Now for the instructions as to how to get started to use subversion.
John, if you log into your Google Account and then go to the "source"
tab of liblouisxml
(http://code.google.com/p/liblouisxml/source/checkout), you'll see
personalized instructions on how to do a checkout. It will be something
along the lines of

svn checkout https://liblouisxml.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ liblouisxml
--username john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is a link on that page which tells you your password. This will
get you the source. Now you can modify files to your hearts content.
After you think a change is ready, you can optionally get an overview of
the changes with 'svn status' or examine what you changed with 'svn
diff'. Then you can describe it briefly in the ChangeLog file, and
commit the change with 'svn commit'. As an optional parameter you can
pass '-m' which lets you add a small description of your change.
Otherwise I think an editor will come up where you can edit the change
message. This will help you see what you changed when you look at the
history of the changes later on. All of this is explained fairly good in
the on-line subversion book
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.tour.cycle.html).

Sometimes you might have to do a 'svn update' before you do the commit.
This can happen if somebody else changed something. This will get you
the changes from these people into your working copy of the code.
Suppose I change something in the documentation and an 'svn update' will
get those changes from the subversion repository into your working
copy.

Anyway there are additional complications such as adding new files (such
as tables) or ignoring generated files (generated from the autotools)
but I think we'll cross that bridge when we get to it or you can look it
up in your subversion book. If you have any questions just ask.

Now, if you'd like to do a release you would presumably do this as you
did it before. The only thing is that you or I need to upload the tar
ball to the Google Code site and I need to "tag" the source in
subversion saying that the tar ball was built from these source files.

I hope that we can get this ball rolling with the development in
subversion. I'm looking forward to it :-).

Thanks and hope that helps
Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired