[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: ctypes and bad trailing pad byte

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:37:10 +0100

Man, I just have to say it: you guys are so incredibly awesome! Thank
you very much. I've been pounding this problem for the last week and now
I come back to my desk this morning and the problem is just fixed.

James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Ack. I think this is due to a bug in the Python bindings, which I have
> fixed in r331. typeform needs to contain inlen bytes of typeform data,
> but liblouis writes outlen bytes of data to it (this is documented).
> The Python bindings weren't allocating outlen bytes for typeform, thus
> causing a buffer overrun. I've never seen the bug before because we're
> not using typeform data yet. Let me know if this fixes the crash.

Yes, thank you very much. The problem is fixed.

> This also presents another issue: the bindings aren't returning
> typeform to the user. They need to be reworked to present more data. I
> think this could be best done with a namedtuple (a dict is a bit of a
> pain), but namedtuples aren't in Python 2.5 and earlier, so we might
> need to invent our own class.

I don't think I have a use for typeform data currently so I have no
opinion on this.

>> 1) When invoking with the Python interpreter that has debugging symbols
>> the translation is different (__>USA _TODA'Y instead of _>USA __TODA'Y).
>> I have no idea why this could be.
> Nor I. Any change with this fix?

No this problem remains.

Again, thanks a lot.