[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [brailleblaster] Re: Update on my LibLouisUTDML MathML patch

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:50:29 +0000

I think this can be split into two parts, dealing with math and dealing with other content. May be there would be other parts like dealing with music, etc but I think at the moment those are not really used so I am sort of ignoring them.

The fix I committed only impacts upon math content. I guess it is possible for nested styled elements in MathML although may be not used at the moment. So may be we need to consider that.

I do not see a huge problem, at least conceptually, with treating math nodes as we do by giving it a single brl node, basically a formatted block of Braille is assigned to it, that block being derived in the same way as that block would be for a text device or brf. Whether we should be adding a semantics attribute to child nodes of math nodes I am not sure, I guess it comes down to do we need it and might it help with tracking what liblouisutdml did to get to the result it gave.

For other content are we treating anything as a single block? As an example tables, should liblouisutdml give brl nodes for each cell and its up to the software rendering it to layout the table or does liblouisutdml create a preformatted block of Braille for the whole table?

Michael Whapples
On 06/03/2014 17:33, Keith Creasy wrote:
Good question.

We may not be handling this properly. I think you could have nested nodes
with styles applied. Tables may be a good example. This could cause problems
because we are following the <math> element with a <brl> element that
represents the entire block of math. This could work in theory but we have
to be careful since everywhere else each <brl> element has a discrete action
or style applied to it. Is this perhaps a flaw in our architecture?