[liblouis-liblouisxml] UTDML and tables

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:18:01 +0000

Hello,
I am thinking do we need to spend time on defining exactly how UTDML should handle certain types of structure?

Currently liblouisutdml produces UTDML which does not seem to make sense for a table. Look at the attachments (the table_test.xht is XHTML produced by Word and Mathtype's "Publish to math page" feature, data in table purely fictional).

The problem in the output is that the newline nodes appears to place all cells one above each other, despite there being three columns (the UTDML output is a single column).

I have been discussing with John Gardner about table handling, it appears that it would be desirable to have brl nodes inside the table, rather than a single preformatted block.

One reason is that it will help with synchronised ink and Braille. This I guess is mostly useful to ViewPlus although may be relevant for synchronised editor views as well.

The other reason I agree that a table should not have a single preformatted block of Braille is to help with make the UTDML less page size specific. If one can determine the content of each cell, then one can make efforts to layout the cells according to the page size one is using. This might need a way of line wrapping Braille text.

I can understand the reasoning for the newline xy attribute in the various table cells in my example (it is to get the indenting of paragraphs), however as I understand it these are coordinates relative to the page. May be these should be relative to their container. This would be quite a conceptual change to UTDML and will break things with existing software.

So my questions are:
* What do we want to do to correct tables in the short term? There will be other structures as well we need to deal with. * When do we want to do a major review of UTDML and alter software to use a new version of UTDML?

Michael Whapples