[liblouis-liblouisxml] SV: Braille Backtranslation

  • From: Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 23:01:43 +0200

Hi Susan,

Please, forgive me for taking a rather practical approach to the subject
(smile).

It is true that we can't very well decide the formatting of an original
document from a Braille transcription. Nor can we control the formatting of
a document that we write in Braille and then back-translate, either on the
fly or later as one file. On a computer with a screen reader, formatting is
usually done by the native commands of the word processing program. A
Braille note-taker in text mode (as opposed to Braille mode) will usually
also have its set of commands for formatting. It will translate and
back-translate the text, either one word at a time or one line at a time and
take care of the formatting separately. Although this may have some
disadvantages, it is probably the best we can do with Braille as it is, and
it seems to work ok for practical purposes.

It is also true that many Braille systems have lots of ambiguities built
into them. In Danish 6 dots, for instance, you drop all "unnecessary"
capsigns. So, when writing Braille for back-translation, you will have to
mark all the capitals that you would normally skip. You will even have to
make an occasional extra letsign in places where you normally wouldn't. In
my experience, people are fine with these requirements. I have actually made
an extra 6 dots table to remove these "unnecessary" capsigns and make
"normal" none-back-translatable Braille. For the same reason, we use
contracted 8 dots Braille a lot in Denmark, much to the amusement of the
rest of the world.

As I see it, there are two disadvantages to using back-translation to check
the result of the translation:
1. An incorrect forward translation may very well still lead to a correct
back-translation.
2. Any detected errors may likely be with the back-translation itself and
not the forward translation.

Also, I am afraid I don't quite see your point about only using computer
Braille for text messages and not being able to use capital letters. I don't
think we (the Braille users) would want to be restrained in the use of a
thing like caps for something that could easily be perceived as "mere
technical reasons". A text without caps could easily make the author appear
more helpless than necessary, which is something most blind people don't
want to.

My point is to say that there is plenty to gain by making good
back-translation, even if it can't be perfect. People who use contracted
Braille anyway will also want to write contracted Braille if at all
possible, even if they have to make an extra effort while writing. I didn't
at all mean to discourage the work on back-translation with my previous
mail. I just meant to point out some of the challenges, which I think can be
solved with most Braille systems.

Best regards Bue