[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Problem building liblouistdml2.3.0

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 03:35:54 +0000

May be its time for me really to get my teeth into scons, I know NVDA uses scons and they get that to build liblouis. Also scons uses the various platform's compiler, with the scons script being fairly platform neutral.

I'll have to try and make time for it, but at the moment spare time seems a little limited.

Michael Whapples
On 24/11/2012 01:36, John J. Boyer wrote:
What is broken is pkgconfig. The PKGCONFIG_PATH has to be set correctly.
Apparently the commands I gave didn't do it. I don't know why Apple
doesn't provide pkgconfig. In the terminal, try typing the command

whereis lou_translate

This will show where this program is installed. It will give me a better
idea of how to set the path.

I agree that the configure, make make install stiff is overly
complicated. It would be nice to have somethign like Java's Ant.

John

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:57:15AM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
I am not certain why liblouisutdml is not building for you, personally I
find the make stuff complicated and hard to work with and I am a
software developer.

One thing I did notice, your line for checking the packages would not
find liblouis, grep xml will find lines containing xml, so liblouis
would not show up. You would need to change grep xml to grep louis to
search for liblouis.

What does
pkg-config --list-all | grep louis
give? If that says liblouis is installed then it seems as if the
liblouisutdml build stuff is broken.

Michael Whapples
On 23/11/2012 23:15, Greg Kearney wrote:
OK for some reason even after doing a new compile and install pkconfig
will not find the libouis materials here is what I get:

pkg-config --list-all | grep xml
libxml-2.0   libXML - libXML library version2.

I have always been concerned about the complexity of getting all of
this working. I'm a librarian not a computer programer and while I
have better than average skills for my trade I know that many
potential users would never be able to handle this. It's driving me crazy!

So here is my offer. If someone will send me all the files in the
correct folder structure for an intel Mac I will build a proper
installer that will permit mear mortals to install and be able to use
liblouis. I know that BrailleBaster holds out a future hot for this
but we have people who really just need this now.

Here is the steps I have followed so far with no results.

1. made sure I had pkg-config install and running. I do the following:
set PKGCONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
export PKGCONFIG_PATH

pkg-config --list-all | grep xml
libxml-2.0   libXML - libXML library version2.

Note that it says I have libxml-2.0

2. downloaded the current versions of liblouis , liblouis-2.5.1
and liblouisutdml, liblouisutdml-2.3.0

3. configure make and make install liblouis. Everything went fine.

Again I run:

pkg-config --list-all | grep xml
libxml-2.0   libXML - libXML library version2.

Note I still do not have the liblouis package. Why is that? So I go on

4. configure liblouisutdml-2.3.0 I get the following:

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package
requirements (liblouis, libxml-2.0) were not met:

No package 'liblouis' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

The fact of the matter is I am willing to build a proper macOS
installer that will put everything it it place that will permit people
to install and test liblouis and use it but I need to have all the
files compiled and ready to install sent to me. There is only so many
hours int eh day and this is just driving me crazy every time I have
to go through all this. I need to produce Braille here.

Can anyone help me?

Gregory Kearney | Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA
PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979 | 61 Kitchener Ave, Victoria Park WA
6100
Tel: 08 9311 8246 | Fax: 08 9361 8696 | www.guidedogswa.com.au
<http://www.guidedogswa.com.au>
Tel: 307-224-4022 (North America)
Email: greg.kearney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:greg.kearney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>

On 23/11/2012, at 6:43 PM, "John J. Boyer"
<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

exprot PKGCONFIG_PATH