[liblouis-liblouisxml] Including the logging branch in master

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:28:57 +0100

Hello,
I am feeling that in the way of features, unless anyone can think of anything else then may be the logging branch is near complete and ready for comments and final adjustments before inclusion in to master.

Things of concern to me:
* I know that in the log method there is some ugly code to force MSVC into loading floating point support. Unfortunately this seems to be unavoidable, the floating point support is dynamically loaded when needed, but due to the function taking varargs it is not possible for VC to work this out automatically. The ugly code seems to be one of the suggested solutions by Microsoft. Unless anyone can think of another solution I say keep this code, may be more comments to explain why it is as it is. * There was a question over the code to log widechar strings, whether it duplicates existing code. Unfortunately I cannot remember the file the duplicate code is in, but it was certainly within tests and the logWidecharBuf function is for library runtime not just test time, thus the solution is not altering logging code but rather moving the test code to use core code. * Do we want to remove old log functions from the API? This would break old applications. Also what functions should be removed (eg. lou_logPrint I am sure should go, but the lou_logFile function might be useful for configuring the default callback handler).

Any thoughts on the above, or any other thoughts of what might need changing?

When might we look at merging this to master? How does one deal with that with Git?

Michael Whapples