[liblouis-liblouisxml] Handling boxed text and semantic-action operands

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 03:49:45 -0500

Here is the beginning of a solution to problems encountered by the
developers of BrailleBlaster. It will also be relevant to anyone using
UTDML.

In transcribing it is often necessary to set off portions of the text
with lines of special symbols such as dots 2356 and 1245. When
formatFor is textDevice this works, except that liblouis applies the
Grade 2 translation table. When formatFor is utd this does not work at
all. In this case it is necessary to create a brlonly node, like the one
that holds the print-page separator line.

Similarly, when the third column (operand) of a semantic-action is used
in utd it is necessary to create a brlonly node like those for page
numbers. This would be used in the case of opening and closing
transcriber-note indicators, to give one example.

I am no longer actively involved in coding, but I will consult with the
programmers who make these enhancements. It is time for others to learn
how to update the code in any case.