[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: General comments on backtranslation

  • From: Davy Kager <DavyKager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 10:02:47 +0000

The Swedish Braille Authority eliminated contractions in Swedish Braille a
number of years ago and found that the elimination did not add significantly
to the length of the books.

And the time it took blind people to read these books?

How much simpler would our efforts be without contractions to think about?

While our efforts would certainly be simpler, another part of the problem is
the use of 6-dot codes. Dutch has no contractions anymore yet it still has a
number of context rules, for instance how to distinguish 1234 from 123d. So let
us advocate 8-dot braille.

Davy

#320, 185-911 Yates Street Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9 CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Jun 30, 2015, at 10:31 AM, Ken Perry <kperry@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to point out this is why I have felt the current way braille is being
created and this includes UEB is wrong. We should be working towards full
backtranslation because the computer world is where braille is going. This
means when UEB is worked on the rules should be fully forward and back
translatable without context sensitivity. This could be accomplished if the
working groups in volved thought first about it then second about other
concerns. This will continue to bite us in years to come.

Ken