[liblouis-liblouisxml] Chat between APH and Nordic Braille in DAISY Pipeline 2 project

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:34:33 +0200

Hi all

As we need the UEB changes in the Nordic Braille in DAISY Pipeline 2 project Bert, Davy Kager and I talked on Friday via Skype to the lovely guys from APH, namely Michael Gray, Ken Perry, Keith Creasy and (I hope I got the name right) Heather McCinay.

We started with an introductory round and tried to find out what the common goals were. As it turns out there are a lot of common goals and we all really want the UEB changes in liblouis.

The following are my pretty rough notes first as a FYI for the list and second as a reminder of the things we have discussed/decided in the call. If I didn't get all the details right, please correct/comment

Timeframe
~~~~~~~~~

- The changes are in good shape and are certainly ready to go into the
September release
- forward translation is good
- some minor issues
- backward translation doesn't with capitalization

Procedure
~~~~~~~~~

- Create a branch in the master repo so that everybody can work off
the same branch and integrate via pull requests

Documentation

Other
~~~~~

typeform support for harness tests
----------------------------------

Bert will look into the harness test to see whether it can be made to support typeforms

Integrate with existing test suite
----------------------------------

- Michaels tests work via a new tool named lou_compare
- this was written for a variety of reasons
- partly because the harness test didn't support typeforms
- ideally we would want to integrate this with the rest of the test
suite

Opcode unification
------------------

- There is a proposal to merge all the emphasis opcodes into a few
generic ones.
- Bert will post a mail to the list with the proposal for further
discussion
- This is quite a sweeping change but it would be good to combine this
with the UEB changes

Backwards compatibility
-----------------------

- Some of the opcodes are going to be obsolete with Michaels new
opcodes
- we can either
1. rip out the old code, change all the tables and only leave the
new code
2. leave the old code, change all the tables and therefore increase
the maintenance burden
- which one are we going to do?

Tag der offenen Tuer - Die SBS mit allen Sinnen erleben
Die SBS laedt Sie herzlich ein: 27. Juni 2015 von 9 bis 16 Uhr. Mehr Informationen erhalten Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/offenetuer
project pages go to http://liblouis.org