[liblouis-liblouisxml] Back-translation of French

  • From: "Jonathan Sharp" <jonathans@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:03:48 +1300

Hi John,

I'm evaluating the new French tables for possible use in a project that
needs both forward and back translation.  I've found some problems with
back-translation and these are also present in the older French tables, so
are not a result of the recent changes.  Here's an example:

If I forward-translate "pierre" I get "pi(re", which is correct.  Now if I
back-translate "pi(re", I get "pi(re" still - the left-parenthesis is not
translated back into "er".

If the "er" occurs at the end of a word, such as "marcher", then it is
back-translated correctly. However in this case the "ar" contraction is not
back-translated while the "ch" contraction is back-translated correctly.

Looking at the braille table there are two entries for "er", one for the
middle of a word:

before con midword er 236

and one for the end of a word:

endword er 236

It seems the endword entry is back-translating correctly while the midword
one is not.

The "ar" entries are:

before con always ar 4

endword ar 4

whereas "ch", which works only has one entry:

always ch 12356

Trying some of the other entries, I wonder if the problem occurs when the
user-defined character classes, con, voy, etc. are used?

Jonathan