[leveller] Leveller on Intel-based Macs

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:48:42 -0800

Apparently someone has succeeded in getting Windows XP SP2 to run natively on the new Intel-based Macintosh computers. The legality or lack of any official support from Apple/MS aside, I'm always interested in anything that lets Leveller users run the program where they need it to run (e.g., carrying around one computer is generally preferable to carrying around two). More info available at:

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/06/03/16/1329206.shtml

I haven't had the pleasure of testing this platfrom configuration in terms of seeing how Leveller runs on it (if at all) but from what I understand, there are some graphics-driver related issues (e.g., games are not as available as general-purpose applications due to lack of hardware acceleration). I would expect Leveller's performance to be related to the quality of Win32 OpenGL support that the device drivers provide, since that is the "hardest" Leveller pushes the system. Given that the new Macs have clock speeds above 1.0 Ghz, even software-only OpenGL may suffice for useful modeling situations in Leveller.

A truly native port of Leveller to OS X is still desirable and remains a development goal for Leveller 3.x.

Ray