[lektrik_flyers] Re: The all important plane question

  • From: Bill Beavers <bbeavers57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:48:12 -0700 (PDT)

It sounds to me like the ESC is not properly
controlling the voltage of the battery and is letting
the motor draw more current than it should be.  That
is just a guess, but I have read some stuff on the
forums about that, but most of that revolves around
brushless stuff, so it may not apply.  It would seem
though that any motor controller that is supposed to
be regulating the current flow would have to apply
this type of current control, brushless or not.  I
think I would try another ESC.  If this problem
persists, then it makes it almost obvious that the
motor might be at fault.  I flew my Slinger using the
Electrifly controller C-20 I already had and I haven't
noticed any ill effects from it so far.  Not sure how
much this helps but I would start at the ESC.

--- John Gray <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having trouble with my Slinger batteries.  Ross
> and I flew it for
> about 15 minutes yesterday with no trouble.  Flew
> nicely.  When we landed
> the battery was extremely hot and swollen.  When the
> battery cooled down
> the swelling went down and I could even charge it.
> This surprised me a
> little.  I can not work out what is happening.  Any
> ideas fellow pilots.  I
> am not sure what the standard motor on the Slinger
> is but it is
> brushed.  There were no problems with the ESC.  The
> battery is a LiPo 1.7
> amp, 11.1 volt.
>
> Any clues on a solution?????????????????  I guess I
> could always upgrade to
> a brushless.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Gray
> john@xxxxxxxxxxxx

=====
Bill Beavers
Director of Technology and Distance Learning
Arch Ford Education Cooperative
bbeavers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://af1.afsc.k12.ar.us

http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool