[lektrik_flyers] Re: (No To: lektrik_flyers@freelists.org

  • From: Bill Beavers <bbeavers57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:03:43 -0800 (PST)

Oh, and I meant to say on the C thing, that 2C, 3C,
etc., is 2 times and 3 times the rated capacity.  So
if you were charging a battery (NiMH for example) that
was a 1000 mah battery at 1C, you would set the
charger to 1.0 and the voltage rating, and it would
charge for a longer period of time to full capacity.
If you charge it at 2C, it will charge twice as fast
because it is taking in about twice the amount of
current as a 1C charge, and the battery will get a lot
hotter quicker as the electrons try to find a place to
rest but have to do it in a hurry.  3C is the same
deal, and you can damage batteries and/or shorten
their life by charging at these rates, not to mention
the fun of watching a battery do funny things as it
starts to meltdown or explode.

Also, on discharge (especially Li-Po's) the batteries
are rated for so much discharge rate, as in like 6C,
10C, 12C, etc., and this is how fast you can get max
voltage out of the battery at max current draw for the
motor doing the pull, and still not overheat and
damage the battery.

And one last thing about li-po's, you NEVER want to
let them drop BELOW their minimum recommended safety
voltage, (ie. 3volts), or you will ruin them and they
will no longer take a charge!  Most ESC's (Electronic
Speed Controller's) have these safety features built
into them, but many let you change the default values
to more custom settings.  Be careful when doing this
though.

Whew... that is a mouth full!  Hope this makes some
sense.