[LRflex] Re: travis terry...

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:56:51 -0700

Steve Barbour offered:
Subject: [LRflex] travis terry...

>>I just returned from the Canyon de Chelly,  and Winslow,  Arizona...

By coincidence, at Canyon de Chelly I  met Travis Terry a friend and

a great Native American Flute player...

He agreed to sit right there on the edge of the canyon,  and play his

flute...while I took a photo...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/ttfbw.jpg.html
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/ttfbw.jpg.html%3c%3c%3c%3c
%3c%3c%3c%3c> <<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,

Very interesting and nicely open shadows due to lots of reflective area.

But a minor suggestion. Look at the light and shooting from the shadow side?
You are not on it! The shadow side if at all possible would've been a slight
turn to his left. It wouldn't have been much and maybe a slight move to your
left would've made it work.

It would've given a much better shadow and highlight ratio form to the
subject. Actually this is one of those photographs and lighting situations
you really need to see it both ways to appreciate the quality difference.
But I don't have any doubt, as nice as this is, if you'd shot from the
shadow side, even though it might have required subject to very slightly
move, it would've lifted this photo moment ten fold to the sky!

Yep this works, but the slight move allowing you to shoot from the shadow
side would've made a huge positive difference.

ted