[LRflex] my kayaking lens

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LEG Group <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:10:46 -0700

I've been wary of taking my camera kayaking because of the typical
proximity to large volumes of water, so I've been looking for a setup
that would represent a much smaller financial loss if the kayak should
transmogrify into a submarine, yet still deliver good results.

I recently bought (via some auction site) a Novoflex 400mm f/5.6
T-Noflexar, complete with accessory bellows (BAL-U) for extreme
close-ups, accessory tripod collar and Nikon mount for the princely sum
of US$125.  For those who are unfamiliar with the Novoflex follow-focus
lenses, they were very popular among pre-AF wildlife photographers for
their good optical performance and quick focussing action.  The
Novoflex lenses focus through  a squeeze grip (google Novoflex images
for a look-see); the action is quick and accurate, the down side being
hand fatigue, weight and a limited focussing range (focussing range can
be easily extended with the BAL-U bellows or the variable extesnion
tube built into later models).

I tested the setup today on dry land with the DMR (in the Kayak I'll
use a battered SL instead):

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/anhu03.html

whaddya think?

Doug Herr