[LRFlex] long-lens steadiness (was: Re: Re: Another Heron.)

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 05:20:42 -0700

on 5/10/04 10:37 PM, Jack at jnswickard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> David,
> I also have the 400/6.8 and an R8--but that shot is incredible--what was the
> shutter speed?  How did you hold it so still???
> Jack

I don't know all of David's secrets, but the shoulder stock makes a BIG
difference.  I've been using a combination of the shoulder stock and a
monopod, and to test the limits of usability I recently photographed a
ground squirrel that had taken refuge from the heat in the shade of a parked
car.  The photograph is quite boring but I found that when I use the stock &
pod and lean against something solid I can still get extremely sharp photos
at 1/15 sec with a 280mm lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com