[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V6 #360

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 06:42:29 -0800

Bill wrote:
Fred,
Thanks. I will go and find something that will work in that fashion,
as a divider, thin birch plywood or sheet plastic with some closed-
cell foam glued to it.

G'mornin', Bill, Fred & Jan.

Over the years, I have "customized" numerous bags ... I use a piece of heavier boxboard or cardboard or a larger sheet of balsa for a base, and cut my dividers from balsa wood, joining them together with contact cement and drywall tape. I then take some fabric and wrap it over the top, holding it in place with contact cement. For the sides, I glue matching fabric to 1/8 to 1/4" (3 to 6mm) closed cell foam and glue these pieces to the sides & bottom of the compartments. Where I do not need cushioning, I glue the fabric to boxboard, cut from the sides of cereal boxes and glue these fabric panels into place. This protects the finish of the gear whilst allowing it to slide into place easily and keeping it all looking good.

It's a time consuming process, but if you exercise reasonable care you can produce a very attractive, low cost, custom innards to any case, that is lightweight (for air travel), remarkably strong and very attractive. The only caveat is that you must leave the case open, for at least 4 to 5 days (I prefer a week), to allow all the solvents from the contact cement to evaporate, before putting your camera gear in it for anything longer than a "dry fit" test.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net