[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #165

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:26:27 +0100

Hello folks
David: the hummer: I feel that the second one that you put up is
noticeably sharper than the first one.  The colours of the first one are
much more 'real' now - especially without the blue beak!  But I do
appreciate the difficulty of photographing such small, quick birds.
Incidentally, I don't think you do as well even with AF - it isn't
usually fast enough for such a fast-moving and small target. (IMHO)  I
wish we had such a variety of birds - and that I had time to go out
enough to take their portraits.
Doug H: Like the Jay!  But most of all, love the flycatcher.  And same
comment as for David re time etc!!

Now, Crete: David, I think I may have put up the wrong shot - I have
several versions of this one.  It was a swine to photograph!  I found
success eventually after three or four evenings by setting the Fuji to
high colour saturation, ISO 1600, and underexposing by 2 stops.  Hence
the picture is noisy - especially noticeable in the clouds.  I tried to
'clean it up' in Photoshop, and played with contrast and brightness a
bit, but couldn't get it better - except for the sloping sea!!  I hadn't
noticed the slope on this one, because I had corrected it from original,
just not quite enough.  When I put in a restaurant shot (just for the
Hell of it), I wonder how many will think that similarly faulty.  We'll see!

I wish I could have got a shot of George chewing the customer's ear.  I
had put the camera away, and the customer wasn't hanging around with a
macaw attached firmly to his ear while I got it out again!!!  Why didn't
I keep it out?  Well, you saw the waves breaking over the promenade -
and me!

Next lot soon.  And next Sunday there is our local air display at Old
Buckenham airfield. (www.oldbuck.co.uk if you're interested)  If the
weather's OK, I want to go complete with camera(s).

Cheers
Keith