[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #148

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:33:05 +0100

Folks, Flexers
Sorry this is belated, but I'm only just back from the Hellenic island
of Kriti (Crete).  [Stin iiya sas!]  And I am still mentally driving
around hairpin bends and up or down mountains, watching out for lunatic
locals Hell bent on eliminating me from the road......especially those
in 4x4 twin-cab trucks....
Seriously, after seeing two very serious collisions - head-on ones - in
two days, and having had a few near misses from locals scorching around
blind bends on the wrong side, I am relieved to be back.

Since I sold my two R3s, I only have two Leicas now: the IIIb and the
R-E.  I took the IIIb and my new Fujica S9600 with me.  The Leica was
loaded with Ilford XP2; this film - incidentally exposed using the Leica
Meter that I restored to working order - came out seriously well; I
would post some scanned pics, except that the prints have small blotches
all over them,. courtesy of Fotorama of Ierapetra (a dirty roller in the
print machine).  I'm having them reprinted here - properly!

Sadly, after that, the old IIIb let me down.  I loaded a colour film;
when I reached exposure number 40, I realised that something was amiss.
Rewinding the film took just two turns of the knob.  As yet, I don't
know why - the sprocket holes are perfect, and the film was loaded
correctly.

And now some of the rub.  The Fuji performed brilliantly well, coping
with all sorts of subjects under far less than ideal conditions.  But I
took almost 300 photographs with it. (Yes, really!) I spent about 3 1/2
hours this afternoon going through every one, deciding if I would scrap
it; then cropping as needed, adjusting some (basic stuff) and now I can
post some when I have a little time.  I have yet to organise and label
them, though.  Is this REALLY sensible?  No, I think not!  If I had used
film, I would have shot perhaps three 36's.  Film makes you think about
the result - especially 12 on 120 in my Rolleiflex - rather than
blithely banging away.  Having said that, I do try always to compose the
pic, and think about the end result.  Out of the 290-odd, I am scrapping
so far about 12.  I hear people say that going digital has improved
their photography.  Piffle and balderdash!!!  Anyone can get the odd
good photograph or three by chance, after shooting hundreds of images.
It takes skill to get good pictures every time with a 120 or 35mm
camera.  But most people don't want to have to work at it these days.

I have to agree with Doug Sharp - indeed I said something similar before
my holiday.  It doesn't have to be bleak; but facing reality is a
necessary element of survival for Leica.

So, all the best folks
Keith Longmore