[LRflex] Re: Versailles, so much gold it becomes boring...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:03:17 -0700

Bill Abbott wrote:
>Xavier,
>
>Congratulations! You scooped the New York Times with your photos of
>Versailles, especially with the picture of the recently reopened Hall
>of Mirrors.
>
>The Arts section of this morning's Times contained a story of the
>refurbishment of the palace and the reopening of the entire Hall of
>Mirrors. To see their photos, go to:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/arts/design/26mirr.html?
>_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin
>
>I always wondered about the Hall until I visited it some years ago
>and saw that it mostly faces the west so that when illuminated by the
>afternoon or setting sun it must be dazzling indeed.
>
>Again, my  congratulations.
>
>All the best,
>
>Bill

Xavier & Bill:

Many thanks, Xavier, for the quick tour of Versailles. I've not been
there since 1964, but would like to see it the next time we're with
you, in Paris.   Your photos are testimony to the rather excellent
picture taking qualities of the D3 (and of course, to the chap behind it!).

And thank you, Bill, for the pointer to the NYT article.  I did not
even know that Versailles was under renovation ... though I guess it
should not surprise me!

The three most spectacular places I've ever been in are, in no
particular order, the Hermitage (St. Petersburg), The Catherine
(Summer) Palace (Pushkin) and, of course, Versailles.  All are simply
spectacular and well worth the trips.

Thank you, both.