[LRflex] Re: Tilting Queen of Nanaimo

  • From: "W.B. Abbott" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:00:46 -0700

Howard,

Your nice photo of a ferry heeled over, presumably in a tight turn, caught it
in the act of too much rudder and/or too little metacentric height (see Naval
Architecture 101) causing excessive heel.

It reminds me of my days driving an aircraft carrier, in which one of the big
no-no's was using so much rudder and/or engines to change course that the
flight deck heeled over too much, which presented serious and dangerous
problems to the flight deck crews who were carrying out refueling, rearming,
repositioning, etc. of large aircraft, not to say the prospect of an aircraft
sliding across the deck and over the side.

That could ruin your whole day!

Hope too many cars didn't slide into one another on the ferry.

Bill