[LRflex] Ted's ass. And scanned prints

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:24:36 +0100

Ted
I bet the ass is getting very fed up with being kicked after all this time! ;-)

No comments about my posted shots? Well, just a couple of points. They were taken using Fuji Superia 800 ASA. The colours on the originals are very good - much better, in my view, than 'ordinary' Fuji 200. Very little grain on 7x5 prints. The other point: these were scanned off 7x5 prints at 600 dpi, and many were heavily cropped, so aren't as sharp as they might be - or - by a long way - as the originals, which were pin-sharp. I have longer lenses that would have reduced the cropping, but some of these shots would have been virtually impossible to get, given the need to use a tripod, rotary focusing, and lining up with the subject accurately. They were all taken with the Pentax, but I'm aiming to get my R-E back in use shortly.

I replaced my HP PSC1100 printer/scanner a few weeks ago, and bought a HP C4180. It failed after 3 weeks. So I took it back and had a refund. I was going to buy a better HP, but was persuaded instead to buy a Kodak AiO 5300. The Kodak software seemed to be totally screwed up when it came to scanning from the computer! The only resolution that came out right was the default 300 dpi. And it wouldn't scan to a file on the computer. Then I discovered that it wouldn't let me print photos from the computer, either! So that went back yesterday afternoon, and I came back with an HP again - C5280. That works perfectly, but I have never rated HP's scanners. Far, far too slow. If you use higher resolutions, every scan takes several minutes; I gave up trying at 1200 dpi after waiting about 10 minutes! I'll have to try scanning the negs in using my slide scanner. That'll scan at about 6000 dpi, and is quick.....

Well, had enough of scanning for now...
Cheers
Keith