[LRflex] Re: Summicron lens on Oly problem...

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:50:46 -0700

David,

Both my 35mm 1.4 and 19mm 2.8 have a 360 degree "guard" of the same diameter as the arc on my 50mm 2.0, so they would apparently interfere.

My 21-35mm and 35-70mm zooms also have a 360 degree guard but they are only 32mm o.d. (approximately) versus the 36mm o.d. (approximately of the rings on the 35mm and 19mm, so they may miss the chip.

Sorry I don't have an E-3 and chip to try them on.

All the best,

Bill

On Mar 14, 2008, at 12:51 PM, David Young wrote:

For those who are interested in this sort of arcane stuff...

A photo, showing the problem of the "lip" on a old style 50mm Summicron hitting the FC chip on the Leica-R to 4/3rds adapter, can be seen at:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lip.htm

This "lip" is, I am sure, on the lens so that when the lens is put down, rear element down, the element will not contact the surface, thus preventing scratches. On a Leica, or even on a Canon, this lip does not get in the way. But, with the Focus confirmation adapters for the 4/3rds cameras, when the lens barrel is moved towards the film plane, the "lip" hits the FC chip. :-(

So, quick, guys... please check your Leitz/Leica lenses and let me know (on list or private mail) what lenses you have that have this "lip" or "ridge" sticking out the back.

Many thanks.